Friday, December 9, 2011

I Hate Doctors

I really and truly dislike my visits to my doctor's office. The first thing you do when you get behind the mysterious closed doors after waiting 1/2 an hour is get weighed. I don't think any woman enjoys this part of the exam. I have tried to worm my way out of it countless times "Oh I was just here last week" or "I am kind of in a hurry, is this necessary for my poison ivy" and alas every time I have been shot down and forced begrudgingly on the scale. There are times I am pleasantly surprised, other times I hear excuses coming out on my mouth, today's being "Oh you know, the holidays".

Anyways I hate the doctors not because of the staff, my Nurse Practioner Joyce is awesome, I hate it because it is never good news. Ever. I was diagnosed when I was only 21 years old with Type 2 Diabetes. I do not look overweight per say but I have always been carrying around an extra 15-20lbs over my healthy BMI since late high school. In high school and college I had some decent muscle mass so I looked OK but was definitely overweight per medical standards. Screw you medical standards.

So at age 21,this sugarholic was informed that I was a diabetic. I wasn't put on any type of medication because I was considered "borderline" So I did the intelligent thing and ignored this diagnosis for the next 8 or so years until this past June the doctor, not my NP, made me come in after normal hours (like 7PM) and basically tore me a new one. My A1C (which is kind of like me sugar levels over a period of time ) was over 10, normal would be under 6. She told me if I wanted to live to see 40, I needed to start taking care of myself. I had so much to live for...



Isn't he a fox in a cowboy hat. Let's just say up in RI he got a couple of looks for wearing this for me. Swoon.



Be forewarned, you will always be treated to a lot of Slash. :)



This is one of my bestest friends in the whole wide world. Kristen and I were each other's maid of honors at our weddings this summer. Actually she was my Matron since she got married first...teehee. Like our look for her bachelorette shower?



This is my family. My folks are divorced so this photo of all of us together is actually pretty rare and I love it. That sexy bald beast on the far right is my brother. I love that kid to freaking pieces.

So yes, I have a lot to live for. After crying my eyes out, I asked her to give me the chance to clean up my act with pills before she put me on insulin. The idea of having to inject myself multiple times a day kind of woke me up so I decided then and there to take care of my body, it is the only one I have.

Well I did awesome up until my honeymoon. I even told my DR that on my honeymoon I was going to eat what I wanted. We were staying at an all inclusive in Punta Cana and I was going to get my $$s worth of drinks and food. Surprisingly enough not one of my drinks was a dirty martini, they were fruity and sweet and delicious. So I ate and drank what I wanted and after I got back, it took awhile to readjust (I am still working on it).

So that being said, I improved my A1C to a 7.4 but it still isn't good enough. Rather than get a congrats on the work I have done I get told it needs to be better. So I am going to work on that too. It is important my A1C be under 6.5 otherwise any children I carry could be born with spine or brain defects. This is also why I have been on a pre-natal vitamin and additional folic acid, I want to prevent this from happening.

So I hate the doctors office, never any good news. Maybe once I finally get things under control there will be no news so that is better than bad news. Also every time I go I get a gallon of blood drawn, not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment